Healthy Spinach Soup Recipe
This healthy spinach soup recipe can be made with any leafy green vegetable, including watercress. Many spinach or watercress soup recipes use potatoes to bulk up the soup and add smoothness, but here I substitute cauliflower in order not to increase the carbohydrate content too much.
If using a strong tasting leaf (such as any dark green, large leafed variety) then the addition of the cauliflower also helps counteract the strong taste. If using a mildly flavored or young spinach you can always omit the cauliflower.
|Healthy Spinach Soup Recipe
Preparation Time - 15–20 minutes
- Large bunch of spinach
- 1 medium onion
- Approx 125 g. cauliflower
- Water for cooking
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg if desired
- single/pouring cream
- Set medium pan of water to boil with just enough water to cover vegetables.
- Peel the onion and roughly chop. Add to the saucepan so it simmers while you prepare the rest of the vegetables.
- Wash and clean cauliflower and break into medium size florets. Add the cauliflower to the onion in the saucepan. Season lightly and simmer for around 5-8 minutes until just tender – do not overcook.
- While cauliflower is cooking wash the spinach carefully. Remove any tough or stringy stalks.Shred larger leaves and chop any remaining stalks roughly, if using.
- Just before cauliflower is tender add the spinach leaves. Don’t worry if there is not enough water to cover the spinach. Just put the pan lid back on so the spinach gently steams. When leaves have wilted and the stalks are tender turn off the heat and allow vegetables to cool slightly.
- Add vegetables gradually to the blender and blend, using the cooking liquid to achieve desired consistency.
- Return to the saucepan and reheat gently. Adjust consistency by adding more water if necessary.
- Season well with salt and either freshly ground black pepper or freshly grated nutmeg. Add 1 – 2 tablespoons of cream to the soup and warm gently just before serving.
More healthy soup recipes
Cream of Broccoli Soup Recipe
Roasted Red Pepper Soup Recipe
Carrot and Coriander Soup Recipe
Beetroot Soup Recipe
Return from Spinach Soup Recipe to Healthy Soup Recipes
Return to the Simple Soup and Smoothie Diet Homepae