Cream of Broccoli Soup Recipe
How can a cream of broccoli soup recipe be a healthy broccoli soup recipe, let alone a healthy soup that can help you lose weight?
Well, nutritionists now know that many vegetables, including broccoli, retain many nutrients when cooked and are just as nutritious when cooked as raw.
- all those healthy vitamins and antioxidants - is retained in the cooking liquid which you’re going to use in the soup, rather than throw away.
In addition, scientists now know that nutrients from vegetables are more readily absorbed when consumed with a small amount of fat – in this case cream.
On top of that, we feel more satiated when we consume a little fat – so we’re less likely to overeat or snack later on.
Take a look at more
health benefits of broccoli
and, even though you’re trying to lose weight, see why broccoli soup is such an excellent choice to include in a healthy diet plan.
Preparation Time 30 minutes
1 medium onion
1 celery stick
Medium/large head of broccoli (about 500g)
Salt and freshly round black pepper
1 - 2 tablespoons single/pouring cream
- Put pan with about 1 liter of water on to boil
- Peel and roughly chop onion. Remove coarse strings from celery and roughly chop. Place in pan of water and allow to simmer while you prepare the broccoli.
- Clean broccoli well and break into florets. Remove coarse parts from stems before chopping. Add broccoli florets and chopped stem to pan with onion and celery and cover.
- Simmer broccoli gently for about 5 - 10 minutes
- Blend soup in saucepan with an
or remove cooked vegetables from saucepan with a slotted spoon and blend in blender until smooth. Add cooking liquid to achieve desired consistency
- Return to saucepan and reheat. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add 1 - 2 tablespoons of pouring cream to give a creamy consistency
- Pour soup into mug or bowl.
- After cooling completely, store any remaining soup in refigerator or freeze
More healthy soup recipes
Spinach Soup Recipe
Roasted Red Pepper Soup Recipe
Carrot and Coriander Soup
Beetroot Soup Recipe
Return from Cream of Broccoli Soup Recipe to Healthy Soup Recipes
Return to the Soup and Smoothie Diet Homepage