How Lutein Benefits your Health
Discover how lutein benefits your health. This list of green vegetables and fruits shows which foods contain the powerful antioxidant lutein, which helps the body fight free radical damage and protect against some cancers. Lutein also works together with other phytonutrients, such as zeaxanthin to maintain healthy vision by reducing the risk of cataracts and age-related macular degeneration.
Green foods, especially leafy greens such as spinach, kale and Chinese broccoli also contain other important nutrients like potassium, magnesium, iron, B vitamins and folates. Iron is important in preventing anaemia whereas folic acid is known to lower the risk of birth-defects in babies. High in vitamin C and E, along with lutein these antioxidants also help fight off free radicals that promote aging and disease.
They are also high in dietary fiber and the high fiber content helps normalize blood glucose by lowering the glycemic index of other foods eaten together with them.
Green foods are also naturally alkaline which helps them counteract acidity in the body. High acidity is caused by eating processed foods and too much animal protein. High levels of acidity can cause calcium to leech from the bones and potentially lead to osteoporosis. This is why a diet high in alkaline green vegetables can help to protect the bones and keep them strong.
Green fruits and vegetables obtain their color from the natural pigment chlorophyll, which has anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory qualities and so assists in detoxification.
avocado - green apples
green grapes - honeydew melon
kiwi - lime
broccoli - spinach - bok choy - celery
chard - leafy greens - artichoke
green beans - green peppers - asparagus
cucumber - lettuce - peas - zucchini
green onion - brussels sprouts - watercress
Eat more foods high in lutein
Remember, lutein benefits include:
- anti-aging properties
- cancer protection (especially breast, lungs or skin)
- help maintain eye health by reducing the risk of cataracts and age-related macular degeneration
- help normalize blood glucose, blood lipids and blood pressure levels
and green fruits and vegetables also offer the following health benefits:
- high fiber content which lowers glycemic index of foods eaten along with them
- contain essential micronutrients like iron - protects against anaemia
- source of B vitamins and folates which lower risk of birth defects
- source of calcium for healthy bone, and vitamins C and E to fight of free radicals that promote aging and disease
- source of potassium and magnesium
- naturally alkaline which can help reduce the body's acidity. High acidity caused by a diet high in processed foods and animal protein can leach calcium from bones, which can weaken the skeleton and increase the risk of osteoporosis
- chlorophyll found extensively in green plants has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effect
Why not take a look at some healthy
made from green vegetables? Or try one of this delicious
kiwi melon smoothie
Return from reading about lutein benefits to the Rainbow Diet
Return from lutein benfits to the Soup and Smoothie Diet Homepage